Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
click on the images below to see a larger version
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery is situated in the historic centre of the city at the foot of the Castle hill. Inverness's first museum was opened in 1826 by the Northern Institute for the Promotion of Science and Literature. Its collections were inherited by the current museum, which was founded in 1880. The museum's collections cover the geology, natural history and archaeology and history of the Highlands. Its strengths include Devonian fossil fishes, prehistoric archaeology, Pictish symbol stones, Jacobite memorabilia and Inverness silver.
After six months closure, the museum reopened in January 2007, with major improvements to celebrate Highland 2007. From Vikings to Jacobites, and the Wars of Independence to the Clearances, the galleries have been completely redesigned to tell the story of the Highlands, and the new layout, graphics and display cases have allowed us to increase both the range of subjects covered and the number of objects on display. The refurbishment includes a new glass-fronted entrance, with a platform lift to the ground and first floor giving access to all the displays and facilities to people who cannot use the stairs. The visitor facilities are new, too, with a new cafe, museum shop and toilets.
The refurbishment of the galleries and public areas was carried out by Haley Sharpe Design of Leicester, working with museum staff, and funding from Highland 2007. The new entrance and lift were designed by the Highland Council's Property and Architectural Services.
Open: Monday to Saturday, 10am-5pm Free admission
For further information please visit our website, www.invernessmuseum.com.
Return to display case projects